Friday, February 1, 2008

Arrival in Delhi, India

My last day in Singapore was spent returning to Chinatown with the larger group. I took some good video of the Buddhist temple that I posted pictures of yesterday, however, I’m still trying to figure out how to shrink the files down enough to be able to post them. On top of that I’m having some other technology issues I’ll discuss below. I didn't take any photos today (besides my hotel room, so sorry for the lack of cool uploads. Tommorrow will be the day for that.)

Grover and I were on the same flight to New Delhi, and we headed over to the airport around 1:30pm. I can’t believe how much heavier my suitcase is, with just the little bit of shopping I did in Singapore.

So today was supposed to my flight on First Class. Singapore Airlines gave me this seat as they didn’t have any available Business Class seat for me, and I would have otherwise been stuck in Singapore for several days. Unfortunately, when I checked in, they apparently found one, and assigned me back to Business Class.

Once we got to India and de-planed, I stopped to wait for Grover. This was a bad idea as he got off before me. Unfortunately, by the time, I convinced myself he must be in front of me and not behind me, I turned around to see that the other 200 people from the plane had gotten in line to get their passports stamped. So at that point, it took about 25 minutes to get to the front of the line. Grover, convinced I had been arrested the Indian Immigration Officials, came back to check on me but found me simply getting my passport stamped.

The ride to the hotel from the airport was pretty much everything that YouTube had indicated it would be. (I suggested searching on Mumbai driving and be quite entertained. Delhi driving may give similar results, but I know for sure you’ll get some good ones in Mumbai) Cars, trucks, tuk-tuks (3 wheeled motor-rickshaws), and pedestrians all share the same space, in extremely close quarters. Travelling at 30-40 mph with about 5 feet between the vehicle in front of and behind you, and at times less than 12 inches between you and the vehicle, bycicle, or pedestrian next to us. I swore our mirror was going to take off the nose of a 10 year old girl that crossed in front of us with her mother. Lane markings are a complete waste of paint, as they are completely disregarded. Honking is non-stop, as it appears to be a means to let the other vehicles know that you are within a foot of them. Since most of the time you are within a foot of something living or moving, it is constant.

At one point, out of no where about 20 people jumped on the road to cross to the other side. The vehicles did yield somewhat, we all slowed down to about 25 miles an hour, and slipped surgically and swiftly between the bodies crossing the road, as well as between the other traffic.
The hotel room is pretty nice, although small, and I do not have a window. Initially internet access was a disaster. Each web page would take 2-3 minutes to load, but all of a sudden it is working smoothly. So I will see if I can post a video or two from today.

As I've been watching the TV today, I was disappointed to find that one of my favorite bands just played in Mumbai yesterday and I missed it:

Iron Maiden!! That would have been cool to see them here. Oh well.

No comments: