Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Longest Flight

Up until this point in my life, the longest flight I’ve ever been on was probably about 5 hours. (I was on a 9 hour flight when I was 4….but I don’t remember that to well.)

Today I exceeded that by more than a factor of 3. Los Angeles to Singapore. Scheduled to be 18 hours and 20 minutes, we made it in just about 17 hours. All of this in Business Class on an airline that is renown for being the best airline to fly, due to all its amenities.

As soon as we boarded the plane, a large team of flight attendants, the men dressed in sports jackets and ties, and the women, in traditional looking asian, tight, floor length, patterned dresses, each made up looking like a china doll, swarmed about to cater to our every need. Within seconds of sitting we were offered a selection of champagne, apple bliss (apple juice with lemon), or orange juice. You can bet which one we chose.

Once we sat in the seats, Kelli (my coworker – for those of you not from Trustmark) and I were like two kids that had to push all the buttons: Seven different position adjusting buttons, plus a back massager. Let room was incredibleWhen sitting you’ve got about 20 inches of space between your knees and the seat in front of you. Quite nice.

From this point until we went to sleep we were being offered snacks, foods, drinks, etc. My meal (chosen ahead of time) was chilean sea bass. Yummy! This was accompanied by a wine list, and a list of specialty drinks including, of course, a Singapore Sling. Yummy!! (ok it’s a bit of a fru-fru drink… but it went down nice.) For desert, Haggen Daaz ice cream with berry compote. Yummy!!!

Now was the tough part. The sun had already set in LA when we had boarded. My body told me it was 10:00pm, however in Singapore it was only noon. To try and get my body on schedule, I needed to stay up as late as possible. Each seat had its own TV with on demand movies, TV shows, and various games. I even found a “learn a language” game that offered about 25 different languages to learn. This gave me a chance to review my Arabic (which I aced in the game!) I got bored with this, and channel surfed for a half hour. Then I decided to try to get involved in a movie to keep me awake: Resident Evil. (I have to say this was a dumb movie.) When that finished it was about 4:00pm Singapore time, and I couldn’t take it any longer. I grabbed my sleeping pill and turned in.

The seats folded down completely flat and where long enough even for me to lay out completely stretched out. (Their designed so your feet end up underneath/inside the seat in front of you.) The first 10 hours of the flight were non-stop very turbulent. This didn’t help trying to sleep. But all in all I was pretty rested by about 2:30am Singapore time. At this point the breakfast team woke me up by dropping a rolled up napkin on my head. (Followed by profuse apologies) I figured it was a good time to wake up, and was quickly served a “complete” breakfast of various fruit with some sort of creamy stuff in the middle, croissants, yogurt, followed by the main breakfast course of which I chose beef in black bean sauce on noodles. (there was a choice of 4 breakfast entrees.) Once breakfast was done, it was just about time to land. Certainly a flight unlike any others.

No comments: