Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Escaped by Minutes

Well after all the intricate details of a trip to 5 different countries were planned out, mapped out, timelines drawn, itineraries reviewed, it all came down to a question of how mother nature would look down upon me. As they say, the best laid plans of mice and men….(actually I’m not quite sure what they say about that,…but they say something...).

As Natalie drove me to the airport, I sat listening to the ominous weather forecast . Winter storm warning, effective 12:00 noon. My flight was at 3:00pm. Plummeting temperatures, and treacherous driving conditions. It seemed certain that my flight would be cancelled. 1:00pm, and the sky still looked the same as it had at 10:00 in the morning, temperature still 45 degrees.

I arrived at the airport, to see lines streatching from one end of the United Airlines counters to the other. I had hoped to try to get an earlier flight anywhere out of Chicago that could connect up to where I was going. Now I just hoped to get through security in time for my flight. CANCELLED was blinking all across the monitors for various flights. Scanning over them I searched and searched for Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles……..ON TIME!!!! So far so good.

In the mass confusion, I followed a UA rep who indicated I should come to a different line. After 20 minutes in that line I got up to the kiosk, entered my info, and was told to pick up the courtesy phone. Once I did that, they told me I was in the wrong line. So then I had to jump to another 20 minute line. Now I figured if the weather didn't get me the lines would.

However, from that point, things went smoothly and I ended up at the gate a half hour before boarding was supposed to begin. Flight is still on time! and still the storm hadn't hit.

At 25 to they promptly started boarding the plane.....we pull away from the gate...wait, they stop the plane....

Outside my window, I can see a luggage cart pull up and start loading in luggage. Phew. My next biggest fear was that my luggage would get lost. So I kept an eye out for it but didn't see it. So hopefully when I get to Singapore it will be there for me. For a couple minutes I looked down at the inflight magazine, and looked up again to see buckets of rain pelting the side of the plane. I was convinced theyd turn us around and bring us back. But they didnt! Within minutes we were airborne, and had a smooth flight all the way to Los Angeles where I'm sitting now, sipping a Thai beer in the Star Alliance lounge, a foretaste of what I'll be drinking in another week.

So onward to flight #2 of 11. Talk to you soon.

3 comments:

SueZie said...

I typed you a big long response that I lost cause I guess I forgot my username and password, so now I'm just testing again. I hate usernames and passwords!

SueZie said...

O.K. So my previous response, that got wiped out, had to do with how Shannon and I almost didn't get to Italy, because of the same "line" problem you described, at O'Hare. However, I'm more concerned about what line you may end up in when your in airports that don't even have our alphabet, let alone speak Engligh. Hoping all goes well for you.

Natalie said...

Ok well you have been gone for more than 24 hours now and no new posts. We are all so anxious to see what is next. We want to see the next chapter in your story!!! Please, please be safe!!!
Natalie