Sunday, August 3, 2014

Project Management: Vacation Style

It has only been 3 years since updating this blog for my last major trip, however it seems like in that period of time, my own life barely resembles its former self.  While I’ve often said my travels have taught me more about life and the world, than anything else, I’ve also endured a few personal challenges that have brought about learnings and personal development in an entirely different way.  That, however, is not a story for the pages of this blog.  Perhaps someday, that can be chronicled in my personal memoirs…..though likely not…
The Big Island, Hawaii

In August, I will be joining 3 of my friends Taryn, Amy (aka AG), and Ryan (aka RJ) on a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii.  Those that have followed my previous posts may be aware that I am an intense planner for large scale trips, usually spending many months researching activities, planning agendas, and quilting together the maximum amount of experiences, within the minimum amount of time, nestled between rigid travel time frames.  For this trip, I was unable to do this.  Fortunately, my slack has been picked up by my travel mates, made up of a project manager, a corporate operations executive, and a forecasting and planning analyst.  Each of whom have their own obsessive compulsive tendencies when it comes to planning, and more than happily deployed them in preparation for this trip.
Ryan (RJ) and Amy

Amy had planned this trip for Ryan’s birthday, and laid the initial groundwork by renting a stunning house in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii.  She proceeded to apply her natural financial skills to meticulously budget all elements of her and Ryan’s activities leading up to the trip.

Taryn, quickly jumped into her typical role of developing a planning spreadsheet which provided organized grids of rank-ordered Big Island activities, driving distances from lodging to activities, links to websites, lists of restaurants, and a list of suggested activities.  I did have a few hours to do some research, and was assigned one task, for which I did some preliminary research, but after a couple status phone calls and emails on the topic, I was thanked for my efforts and she took it from there, and proceeded to also obtain all the requisite reservations.  Ultimately the rest of us were greatly appreciative of her efforts of pulling the coattails we all stood on.
Taryn and Ryan

RJ deployed his project management skills for his week-long babysitter by developing a 9 page, sectioned document complete with table of contents, map, and illustrations entitled “Household Operations Vacation Information Document.”

I contributed virtually nothing to this entire trip.  However, I did offer to chronicle any and all (mis)adventures that may fall before us, via the RyanGoesRound blog. 

In final preparation for our vacation the four of us gathered to tie up loose ends in Texas a week before departure, while Sharknado 2 played in the background and a few cold beverages where consumed.  I’m not quite sure what happened, but this scene was found the next morning along with shards of coconut in every direction within a 15 foot radius, and a very sticky floor….
Coconut Carnage

Yes, it should prove to be an interesting week…  As always, I will attempt to post daily with pictures and stories, if time and internet access permit. 

Until Friday….Aloha!




No comments: