Thursday, May 24, 2012

Planning is Done....Time for Doing

Its been about 6 months since we initially decided that we were actually going to go ahead and make this trip, and the day is finally here. At 10:30 this morning we take off on our first series of flights to Hong Kong (via Chicago).  At this point, I'd estimate I've probably put in a good 300-400 hours of planning, researching, arranging, etc. for this trip.  I tend to be very OCD about things like this, and like to make sure that I've got a plan for everything we're going to do throughout our travels.  The last thing we want to do on a once in a lifetime trip such as this and end up wasting 4 hours in some exotic locale to researching and indecision (often exacerbated by a poor internet connections).  So to prepare, I wanted to ensure that we had an outline of activities including all of our points of connection and ensured that the planned routes of sightseeing have a good chance of being navigable in the time planned, even if we don't end up following it exactly.  So being the numbers guy I am, here's the ultimate outcome of all this work:
  • 4 travelers
  • 27 days
  • 5 countries (8 if you count layovers)
  • 13 flights
  • ~60 hours of flight time 
  • 11 different lodging accommodations (13 if you count the two places that we'll be at one night, and return on a later night
  • 6 suitcases  
  • A 21 page itinerary of travel and activities.

Does this Count as Packing Light?


This trip was initially my idea, and Natalie was somewhat overwhelmed with the idea, so the vast majority of all the travel specifics I put together (she however arranged all the caretaking of the issues at home while we are gone).  As fits with all the various personalities in our household, both Natalie and Allie have some pretty significant apprehension around being ripped out of the comfort zone that they've spent their lives in.  Kalyssa, always the adventurous one, though trying to play it cool for the last several weeks, has lost the ability to pretend shes not excited and has been pretty giddy the last few days.  Nonetheless, the pressure's now on.  The roller coaster is nearing the top of the hill.  The harness is on tight, and I couldn't get out if I wanted to. I know once I stop hearing the clickety clack of the failsafe behind the wheels, that the ride is going full speed ahead whether or not I'm ready.  I just have to hope the engineer that designed it knew what he was doing...but oh wait that's me...

Here's where I start to second guess all of the plans... spend the first hour of sleep retracing all the steps to ensure I didn't miss some important item in the planning as my consciousness fades.  Do we have transportation? What if I have us sightseeing somewhere but didn't plan for the luggage to be checked into the hotel....What if I reserved an activity on the wrong day....My last trip was easy.  I was alone for most of it, and could easily play it by ear if I needed to.  This time I've gotta make sure its tight. 

All 4 of us spent the last 6 hours doing our final packing, and making sure the house is set.  The goal for all of us was to stay awake until 3 to try and start getting the body clock shifted.  Kalyssa was the most eager to take on this challenge.  She helped out with odds and ends, and ended up in front of the TV, getting up every 20 minutes or so as if to show us she's still awake and keep her blood moving.  By about 12:30, all she could manage was a half smile and a thumbs up from the couch, to say I'm still here.  By 1:15, the TV was entertaining nothing more than the back of her head as she slipped into sleep.  Natalie, usually the first to fall asleep in any situation, kept going hard we got everything packed, and she laid down and started to drift about 1:30pm. I grabbed her and pleaded for her help in finishing up the rest of the house, and she crawled back out of her slumber and did.  About 2:00 we got everything in order, and she quickly checked out.  Allthewhile, Allie sat in her room zombie like, sneering at anyone that walked in, saying "i hate travelling....why do we have to travel... I hate travelling...." but still cognizant that if she didn't start to adjust her schedule the next several days would be that much tougher.  at about 2:00 she was in her bed, but still attempting to occupy her time on her computer.  I ever the night owl, still can't go to bed. because I keep thinking of all the things I can't remember if I forgot.....  a couple more tasks....then I'll hit the bed.  only for  a couple hours or so though, then its time to wake up and hope all goes smooth over the next 27 days....

1 comment:

Grover Thomas Jr. said...

Well Ryan, you are on your way. I am very happy for you and your family and very happy that you feel I helped you see other parts of our world 4 years ago and now you are sharing the world with your family. I wish you a safe journey and buckets of fun. I hope a few things go wrong-not major, but little, as that adds to the fun and memories. I will be watching your writing as you wing your way around the globe. Grover